Candidates for Liver Surgery
The liver is the body’s second largest organ, and it is responsible for essential functions that relate to digestion, metabolism, the immune system, and the storage of nutrients. Located directly underneath the liver, the gallbladder stores and releases bile to help the body digest fatty foods. We can use minimally invasive liver surgery to diagnose and treat several different liver and gallbladder issues, including:
- Gallstones: We can remove these hardened deposits of digestive fluid that form in the gallbladder and cause intense pain.
- Inflamed gallbladder: Inflammation of the gallbladder can be caused by a number of factors. We can use laparoscopic techniques to help identify the exact cause of your concern and then plan treatment accordingly.
- Liver tumor removal: During this procedure, which is known as liver resection, up to one-half of the diseased organ is removed, while the healthy, properly functioning portion is left intact.
- Gallbladder tumor removal: If you have been diagnosed with gallbladder cancer, we may be able to remove both benign and cancerous tumors using minimally invasive techniques.
When you visit our practice for a consultation, we will review your medical records, discuss your symptoms, and recommend any necessary testing to determine the best course of treatment.
Benefits of Laparoscopic Liver Surgery
During laparoscopic surgery, your doctor will begin by creating very small keyhole-sized incisions. Next, he or she will insert a tiny fiber optic camera through a thin tube to view the treatment area before performing surgery using very small tools. When compared to traditional (open) surgery, using laparoscopic techniques offers patients a range of benefits. These include:
- A lower risk of infection
- Minimized scarring
- Less postoperative pain
- Shorter recovery periods
In addition, most laparoscopic procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, meaning patients do need need to stay overnight. Since we believe in the importance of patient education, we will ensure that you understand every part of the surgical process so that you can feel more confident and comfortable about your care.
Contact Us to Learn More
At the Laparoscopic Surgical Center of New York, our surgeons’ expertise in minimally invasive techniques allow for our entire staff to be focused on patient-oriented care. As our patient, you can rest assured that our dedicated staff and highly trained team of surgeons will be available to you every step of the way, ensuring you receive the best possible care and enjoy a safe and quick recovery. If you believe you may be a good candidate for laparoscopic liver or laparoscopic gallbladder surgery, schedule an appointment today.