Department: General and Laparoscopic Surgery, Mt. Sinai Hospital, NY
Title: Attending, Associate Clinical Professor
Medical School: University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, 1975
Surgical Residency: Mt. Sinai Hospital, NY
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (including stones in the bile duct)
- Laparoscopic Colectomy (Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, familial polyposis, benign and malignant tumors)
- Laparoscopic Small Bowel Surgery
- Laparoscopic Esophagogastric (GERD, hiatal hernia, Achalasia, tumors both benign and malignant, peptic ulcer disease) Surgery
- Laparoscopic solid organ (spleen, adrenal, pancreas)
- Laparoscopic lysis of adhesions (abdominal pain)
- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
Dr. L. Brian Katz is an American Board Certified general surgeon who received his medical training in South Africa at the University of the Witwatersrand in
Dr. Katz has participated in the development of laparoscopic surgery from its infancy to its present status of being state of the art general surgery. He has been actively involved in the education and training of surgical residents in this field and for his exemplary teaching, he has been recognized with multiple outstanding teacher awards.
Dr. Katz specializes in minimally invasive surgery of the gastrointestinal tract that includes the small and large intestine, as well as in hernia surgery. He has a clinical expertise in cryptogenic (hidden) gastrointestinal bleeding. Additionally, Dr. Katz is recognized as a world-renowned
Dr. Katz is devoted to
Dr. Katz enjoys spending time with his family and is actively involved in his synagogue, supporting multiple causes. He is an avid athlete who has completed the New York City Marathon multiple times.
To make an appointment with Dr. Katz, please call his office at 212-879-6677.